Hidden form fields give you another layer of customization to use with your integration.
Access hidden form fields
Hover over any form widget on your page or pop-up and click Edit Integrations to access its settings, which will appear in the left-hand sidebar.
Creating hidden fields
You can create hidden fields in two ways.
Inside email service providers
Some email service providers (ESP) will allow you to create or define hidden fields. In the example below, “Source” was set up as hidden within Mailchimp.
To hide a field manually from within Leadpages:
- Under ② FIELDS in the form settings, click the field you'd like to hide to open its options.
- Then, check the "This is a hidden field" checkbox, enter a default value and click Done.
You can choose any default value the field supports, which will be submitted alongside information your visitor provides.
Pre-populating hidden fields
Each hidden field created in Leadpages must have a default value, but you can also dynamically pass values to Leadpages from a URL parameter (such as one provided by your email service provider or ad software).
For instance, our page might be at a URL from an ad that includes a variable like so:
http://website.com/registration?ad_campaign=facebook. In this case, we’d put
ad_campaign as our URL variable (without the question mark).
When someone opts into the page on that URL, the hidden field would be populated with “facebook” so we could track which ad campaign our opt-in came from.
- Return to your form’s email field settings (using the steps above).
- Enter a URL variable (also referred to as a query string or UTM parameter) to use for pre-population. It’s best to choose a simple, intuitive variable. Your variable can contain a hyphen (-) or underscore (_), but other special characters may cause issues.
- Save your field settings.
- Set up a link that dynamically includes your variable—for example,
email@example.com someone was linking to this page from an email they sent to their subscribers where they already have their email address and would like to hide that field and pre-populate it.
Need more help?
You can always get in touch with our support team—just click Support in your Leadpages navigation menu, or submit a ticket ↗